Saturday 19 July 2008

Enchanted---Kyoto Gion Festival

I'm embarrassed to confess this, but despite being born in Japan and have grown up in Kansai for almost 23 years, I'd never had a chance to go to Kyoto Gion festival. Some foreign connoisseurs of Japan may be shocked at my unfaithfulness to her own culture, but come on, it's simply same as people who never visit tourist attractions in their city. We often forget to appreciate the things near us, yes? ;P

Anyways, Gion festival is one of the three grand matsuri in Japan, and when I went it was yoi-yama, the highlight night of the festival.


The city was veiled in dreamy ambiance as the sun went down.

Beautiful lantern float, an iconic symbol of the festival.



















It was regrettable that I wasn't wearing yukata that night. Walking on the ancient Kyoto alley with yukata would definitely be more fun, and bring us the feeling of festivities. I'll surely do it next time.


Alrighty... I'm off! I'll be back once my exams are over. So please stay tuned all my loves:).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

G'day Mihiro! I love the photos you put up here.

I presume that this is some kind of lantern festival? It certainly looks quite nice. What is Yukata though?

Also, it is true what you say about people not seeing the great things that are close to them.

Best of luck with exams!

Toby

Mihiro said...

thanks toby!

it's a huge summer festival held in Kyoto, and yes, lanterns are one of the highlights during its night time. yukata is one of japanese traditional dresses Kimono, but it's more light and especially made for summer.

i know, when i was in melb, i visited almost every touristy spot in the city, and i was pretty confident that i knew melbourne city better than some locals;P.

all the best for your Sem 2 too!

xxx

Angel of Hope said...

The lanterns look really nice, and the night view really gives me the feel of the local culture. Japan is always strong in perserving the traditions. Id love to walk along those streets haha =)there is yukata for guys also right? but usually guys dont wear them nowadays i suppose.

Mihiro said...

yes we have yukata for boys, too. but as you said it's only for special occasion like summer festival. or it's same thing for girls, too.

i'm curious about mamak culture in your country btw:)!